March 19, 2016

Oscar "Pug Life" Zimmerman : 2002 - 2016

This is the hardest post I've ever written.  Last Wednesday, March 9th, 2016, I said goodbye to the greatest dog that ever lived, Oscar.


I brought Oscar home from a farm in Lebanon, TN in January of 2002.  He was six weeks old and I was instantly in love.


Oscar was a spitfire.  All puppies are though, aren't they?  He chewed up everything and it took forever to house train him, but eventually he came around.


I took Oscar everywhere with me and he quickly made friends where ever we would go.  He was always the life of the party.


He had many dog buddies when we lived in Tennessee and every year we would get together and go to his favorite event, Dog Days in the Park.



We moved to Virginia and lived in several different places before settling into a little apartment in Ocean View.  He became buddies with the dogs next door and LOVED going down to the beach (it was only a five block walk!).  I would take him as often as I could.



In January of 2014, Oscar met the man who would become his step-dad, Biker Tony.  BT got a kick out of Oscar's Harley-Davidson spiked collar.  It was truly meant to be!


Oscar adored BT and I'm pretty sure the feeling was mutual.



Whenever BT and I would travel, Oscar got to go to Grandma's house.  I don't think that their dog, Maggie, appreciated the attention being stolen away from her, but Oscar certainly didn't mind.


Grandma always spoiled him with new toys and I'm pretty sure that Grandpa fed him hot dogs and cheetos.  


As old dogs do, Oscar began to have health problems and there was a point where we were unsure if he would even make it to our wedding which was planned for October of 2015.  Thankfully he did.  It was the greatest day of my life and having him there made me so happy.


Oscar lived a full life.  I may not have been the best pug mom ever, but I always tried my hardest and I loved him with all of my heart.  He was very lucky to have a wonderful extended family that loved him equally as much.




No matter how much time you spend thinking about and trying to come to terms with it, nothing can prepare you for having to say your final goodbye to your beloved pet.  Oscar was my baby.  He made every day on this planet worth living and when he died, part of me died too.  Even knowing that he is in a better place and free of pain doesn't make it hurt any less.  I know that time will ease the pain, but for now, I'll just think back on all of the memories we made and be thankful for the 13 wonderful years we got to spend together as partners in crime.




Goodbye for now, Oscar.  I will see you at the rainbow bridge.

Love, 
"Mummy"



1 comment:

  1. Oscar lived well and was loved well...by everyone who laid eyes on that silly pug! Grandma and Grandpa Z were always happy to 'pugsit' whenever needed...Oscar was such a sweetie. We will miss him very much. Laura, I think you were the best pug mother ever!

    ReplyDelete