February 12, 2014

Coconut Curry Quinoa Surprise

This recipe was a collaborative effort between BT and I.  We were brainstorming quick and easy dishes featuring quinoa (pronounced "KEEN-wah"), an ingredient that I recently introduced him to, and this is what we came up with!  It's ultra versatile (use whatever veggies are in season/you have on hand), incredibly healthy, and super delicious. But before I get to the recipe, here are a few fun facts about quinoa: 
  • High in protein and an adequate source of all essential amino acids.  
  • Contains twice as much fiber as most other grains.  
  • Good source of iron (especially good for us veg-heads).  
  • High in riboflavin, which helps to improve metabolism.  
  • Low on the glycemic index (won't spike your blood sugar).  

Coconut Curry Quinoa Surprise

Servings: 4


  • Quinoa mixture:
  • 1 c. quinoa
  • 1 c. coconut milk (from a can - usually found in International section of supermarket)
  • 1 c. water
  • 1/3 c. raisins
  • freshly grated ginger (to taste)
  • Veggie mixture:
  • 1 T coconut oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 4-5 cloves garlic, diced
  • 1 large head of broccoli, chopped
  • 3-4 carrots, chopped
  • salt & pepper
  • 1-2 T curry powder
  • Optional garnishes:
  • Sliced avacado
  • Greek yogurt/sour cream
  • Toasted, slivered almonds

Directions

  1. To prepare the quinoa mixture: Place coconut milk, water, and quinoa in a medium saucepan over med-high heat. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir in raisins and grated ginger.
  2. To prepare veggie mixture: Add coconut oil to a large saute pan over med-high heat. Add veggies and cook to desired doneness (I like mine a little crunchy). Season with salt, pepper and curry powder.
  3. In a large bowl, mix quinoa mixture with veggie mixture.
  4. Top with desired garnishes and enjoy!  
Footnotes

-Use whatever veggies are in season! Would be great with zucchini, squash, green beans, cauliflower, etc. 
 -For added protein, add a few diced hard boiled eggs to the mixture. (That was originally my plan, but I forgot.) And yes, you could always add chicken or some other meat. :/ 
 -I'm sure that brown rice would work in lieu of quinoa, but I highly recommend quinoa because...well, the name of the dish!. 
 -Olive oil would work in place of the coconut oil. Just don't skip the coconut milk!

CLICK HERE for a print friendly version on allrecipes.com.  (If you try it out, be sure to leave a review!)






No comments:

Post a Comment