March 22, 2013

2013 Shamrock Half Marathon Race Recap


The run that almost wasn't

I did not sign up for any of the Shamrock runs this year.  It wasn't in my budget and I’d been having some issues with my Achilles tendon, so I just figured “it wasn't meant to be”.  Until, of course, it got closer to race weekend and I started hearing all of the hubbub surrounding it.  I started to get sad that I hadn't signed up.  Shamrock has been a tradition for me since I moved back to VA, having run the full in ’08, the half in ’09, ’10, ’11 and the full again last year.  By then, it was too late.  The half-marathon and 8K had long been sold out and there was no way I was signing up for the marathon with no training under my belt. 

I was chatting with a friend about being bummed that I wasn't running this year and she mentioned that she knew someone who signed up for the half and couldn't run it.  “Maybe she’ll sell you her entry!”, she suggested.  By Friday, 3/8, I had an entry into the half-marathon.  I had not done a long run since before I’d come down with the flu at the end of February.  But I was keeping the streak going and that's all that mattered!! 

The next day I set out to do my one and only “training run”.  I ended up completing a little over 10 miles and was feeling good, both mentally and physically. 

Day Before the Race

Luck would have it that the Annual Ocean View St. Patty’s Day Parade fell on the day before the race.  Looks like I was going to have to be on my best behavior this year, unlike in the past…

The parade is interesting...to say the least.
The parade ended around noon and I headed down to the convention center to pick up my Anna’s packet.  Rather than go back home to the drunken parade madness, I opted to spend the afternoon at mom & dad’s where I knew I could enjoy some peace and quiet. 

I made a pit stop on the way home for some pre-race essentials (peanut butter, bananas, and beer).  Dinner consisted of a super duper snack plate...


A delicious pear, veggie/hummus wrap, some baby carrots, strawberries and a hard boiled egg.
and the obligatory pre-race beer.  



I was in bed by 10. 

Race Morning

I slept pretty well and was up at 0445.  The plan was to park at 19th St., so I wanted to be down at the Oceanfront by no later than 0615 so I’d have plenty of time to park, and walk to the start at 42nd St….and pee somewhere along the way.   Breakfast was my tried and true bagel thin with natural peanut butter and a banana, coffee and a bottle of H2O.  All eaten en route.  For fuel during the race, I’d packed some dates in a Ziploc baggie. 

When I arrived at the Oceanfront I couldn't believe that I had contemplated wearing shorts.  I swear, there was about a 15 degree temperature difference between Norfolk and VB.  Plus the wind blowing off the ocean doesn't help matters much.  I parked at 19th, got all my stuff together and started the long walk to 42nd.  I was dressed in full length, compression tights, a short sleeve, technical shirt (from RnR ’11), my favorite pullover-windbreaker, lucky visor (from the Patriot’s half ironman), and a fleece ear warmer.    I regretted leaving my gloves in the car and debated turning around to go get them, but decided not to.  I would pay for that later. 


I made sure to lube up my feet real good to prevent blisters.  
Once I got to the start line, I hopped in line for a porta potty.  It was getting close to 0700, so as soon as I was done doing my business I jumped into corral #6.  I think I was really supposed to be further back than that, but I was freezing and ready to get this show on the road ASAP. 

Run Like the Wind

Before I knew it I was getting ready to cross the start line.  I had no watch, so the timer on my phone was going to have to do.  It’s a miracle I was even able to start the timer and get some music playing because my fingers were absolutely frozen.  Here we go! 

The first mile was the usual cluster#$%! of people.  I weaved in and out and around them and tried not to get too slowed down.  The one and only time I checked the time was at the 3 mile marker and it was a little under 30:00. 


It's hard to take pictures while running.
Right before I hit the 4 mile marker I got a text from Ally (who hooked me up with the girl I bought the entry from).  We had both thought it started at 8.  Good thing I checked the night before! 

It's even harder to text while running.
They recorded a split at the 5 mile marker, but for some reason mine didn't register, so there was no data for that on the website.  Bummer. 

A short while later, I got a text from Laura M.  She was predicting that I was on mile 7 and wished me luck.  Had I started right at 0700, her calculations would've been right, but with the delay of starting in corral 6, I think I was only at mile 5 or 6.  Nonetheless, I was wishing she were with me.  And to think, we bitched and moaned about the weather for the RnR…ha!  I would kill for 100% humidity and 80 degree temps right about now! 

I was feeling good and maintaining a steady pace as we entered Fort Story around mile 7.  More than halfway there! 

couldn't stop myself from recording this.  This guy was definitely getting the energy up within the crowd of runners. 


I snacked on one of the dates I’d packed for a blast of sugar around mile 8.  It was the only fuel I took in during the race.  I never stopped for water either.  Probably not the wisest decision, but I felt like I was adequately hydrated, pre-race, and it was so cold that I never really got thirsty.  So no use in stopping and wasting precious time if I didn't need to! 

The remainder of the run was pretty uneventful.  The last 4 miles or so are spent running down Atlantic Ave., where I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the Kenyan marathoners making their way down the course, but it was still too early for that (the marathon starts a whole hour and a half later!). I did, however, see the funniest sign ever.  For of those of you familiar with the internet phenomenon that is the "ain't nobody got time for that!" lady, this sign was a huge picture of her face that read, "Marathon?!  Ain't nobody got time for that!  Go half marathoners!!!"

My legs really started to hurt and cramp up during the last mile.  Surely a result of my lack of training.  By then it didn't matter.  I was so ready to round the corner onto the boardwalk and cross the finish line! 

Official time: 2:04:43

Lock it Up!

I’m not going to lie.  It feels pretty freaking good to know that I just wake up and bust out a 2:05 half marathon with no very minimal training.  Speaking of which, I found this to be pretty crazy:  My one and only training run stats compared to my race day stats.  Check out the pace per mile.  Talk about consistency! 


Until next year… 




1 comment:

  1. Heck yeah I give a crap! you da bomb knockin it out in 2:04. WITHOUT training. YOUTH is all I gotta say. For the record you and I did the Rock N Ralph in 2011 in 02:08:54 - holla! Laura M

    ReplyDelete