Day 10 consisted of a beautiful morning stroll, a shuttle ride to the airport and sitting on a plane/terminal in ATL for about 10 hours (while the lactic acid in my legs just festered, causing me to be EXTREMELY SORE the next day). And alas, my fabulous vacation to Costa Rica was over!
Without further ado, here are some of the highs and lows:
Best purchase prior to the trip:
My Nikon D3000. SO worth the investment and I will continue to use it on a regular basis for cupcake photos.
Coming in at a close second would be these Keen sandals.
I scoffed at the $70 price tag (even though I used a Groupon from Shoebuy.com) and wasn’t thrilled with red being the only color choice in my size, but they totally grew on me! I hiked for hours in those things and my feet never got a single blister! Love them.
Best purchase during the trip:
The cab ride to chase down the shuttle that I left my camera in! What an adventure!!!
Most unnecessary purchase during the trip:
All of the other cab rides I took. I really should’ve planned out my transportation a little better. Oh well, live and learn!
Biggest culture shock:
Walking through the Supermarcado and seeing eggs stacked up in the middle of the aisle. They do not refrigerate their eggs! Wha…???
Scariest moment:
Hiking through the trails on day 2, hearing the howler monkeys and not knowing what they were. I swear I thought a pack a wolves was going to jump out from behind the trees at any second.
![]() |
| Not my picture! I never did spot one. |
Favorite meal:
Toss up between dinner at Ahora Si! and breakfast at Carola Café – both places were in Samara and both places were AH-MAZE-ING.
Favorite beer:
I tried a bunch of the regional brews. I wouldn’t say that Pilsen was my favorite…more like “most tolerable”. HAHA!
| Yeah...busted. I ate my fair share of plantain chips as well... |
Funniest moment:
When the guys from Chicago opened the shuttle door, handed me my camera and said (and I quote), “that was fucking awesome”.
Biggest regret:
Taking a shower at the roach motel. I should’ve just jumped in the ocean.
Most unforgettable moment:
Sitting in front of a bonfire on a cemetery island at midnight under a full moon while drinking water from a coconut with Jeffry, the "tico" that I'd just met. ((Swoon))
Favorite place I stayed:
The rustic cabin in Cabuya. It had the least amenities of all the places I stayed and that’s why I loved it so much. I really had the best night’s sleep there with the sounds of nature surrounding me (including the roosters, who made sure I was awake at the ass-crack o’ dawn).
Favorite town visited:
Montezuma - Not the prettiest beach, but the town was cute, quiet, and eclectic.
Least favorite town visited:
Tamarindo - Surf shops, overpriced restaurants, and gift shops galore. I can go down to VB's Oceanfront for that anytime. The beach there was gorgeous though.
So, in closing...I took this trip because I really needed some time to focus and just live in the now for once, rather than always worrying about what I’ve got to do when I get home to prepare for this wedding or that order and how I’m going to squeeze in a consultation with this bride when I have to make a delivery to this address…whew! It’s been a stressful year to say the least. I know it sounds cliché, but I really was able to do some soul searching while I was out there and “find myself”. Which brings me to my final highlight…
Most important lesson learned:
We each define our own success.
As I watched the people in Costa Rica and witnessed how they live life to fullest with so much LESS "STUFF" than us (Americans), it really sank in...
We each define our own success.
As I watched the people in Costa Rica and witnessed how they live life to fullest with so much LESS "STUFF" than us (Americans), it really sank in...
I don’t drive a nice car or have a big screen, plasma tv. I don’t have a rich husband, 1.5 kids, or a house with a white picket fence. I don’t make a lot of money, and when I make the plunge to become fully self-employed, I’m going to make a lot less. But you know what? I don’t need that stuff to be successful! Success to me is being happy and enjoying everything that life has to offer! Everyday I get to do what I love. Operating a cupcake business is not work. It’s my dream!!! That’s success! Sometimes I just need to remind myself of that and not let the everyday, petty bullshit get me down. I need to stop thinking that I'm not successful because I don't make as much money as so & so and my Jeep's a piece of crap.
Going out to Costa Rica by myself, barely speaking the language, and having the most amazing time? Success!!!
Ensuring that I'm diagnosed with skin cancer at an early age? Success!!!
Ensuring that I'm diagnosed with skin cancer at an early age? Success!!!
| Don't hate! |


Wow, Laura, what an amazing journey you just went on - both physically and emotionally. It was a pleasure to read all your blogs and I now know who I want my next travel partner to be!
ReplyDeleteYou DESTROYED the half - !!!! speechless!!!!
You are an amazing woman, I have no doubts you will achieve all that you set out to. Watch out world! Laura E is on her way!