September 15, 2011

Day 6 (Part I) - Off to Samara

Had another awesome night's sleep in a clean, comfortable bed.  On a whim, decided I would go for a quick run, this time on the main road, rather than the beach.  It was good to get some real cardio in.  I walk everywhere out here, so it's not that I haven't been excercising, but I missed running. 

Breakfast was included in my stay at Sano Banano, I had juevos rancheros y cafe.  Yum.  Packed up all my shit and hopped in the shuttle that was waiting for me out front!  At a hostel right around the corner, the driver stopped to pick up three more passengers.  Americans!  Hooray!  It was three guys in their mid 20's who were from Chicago.  They were headed to Tamarindo, my final destinantion!  I was being dropped off in Nicoya, where I would have to catch a bus to Samara.  The trip was about 2 1/2 hours.  We all chatted and napped and grabbed our "oh shit" handles when the driver would get so close to the edge of these narrow, winding, jungle roads.  Once at the bus station, I gave them my business card and told them maybe we'd run into each other in Tamarindo? 

I was walking up to the ticket counter when it hit me.  The feeling that you are missing something...I was wearing my backpack, I had my laptop tote...OH SHIT, MY CAMERA!!!  This CANNOT be happening right now.  I left my camera bag, with my drivers license, credit card, (very little) cash, and camera (of course) on the shuttle.  As I watch it drive off further and further away.  I started running down the road, screaming at the top of my lungs, "ALTO, ALTO!!!"  (Stop)  There was no way I was catching it.  I had no idea what to do.  Just then a cab pulled up beside me.  He motioned for me to jump in, I did.  I'm telling you, the next 15 minutes were like a scene from a movie.  "Follow that shuttle!!!"  He was turning down back alleys and weaving in and out of traffic so fast, yet the shuttle continued to charge full speed ahead.  Finally, we pull up behind the shuttle, if I had to guesstimate, we had to have been driving at about 60 mph.  The taxi driver is blaring the horn and I'm leaning out the window waving my arms like a crazy person.  The shuttle pulls over, I jump out, the door opens, one of the guys hands me my camera bag, and all they could say was, "that was fucking awesome". 

Awesome indeed.  I can't make this shit up people.

We turned around and the taxi driver, Ricardo, told me it was $40 to get to Samara and he'd include our little adventure in that price.  I could've had him take me back to the bus station and paid $3 to get to Samara, but I tell ya - that was the best 40 bucks I've spent.  I wanted to support this guy who bent over backwards to help some stupid american chica chase down her camera bag.  It was well worth it and I got to Samara much quicker than the bus anyway. 

Once in Samara, I knew exactly where I wanted to stay.  The Samara Palm Lodge is ranked the #1 place on Trip Advisor so I treked it straight there.  Lothar greeted me when I arrived and told me he'd cut me a little bit of a deal since I was alone.  I think they normally charge $45, he gave me a room for $40.  Not bad at all, this place is, by far, the nicest place I've stayed.  I knew right away I'd be staying the next night, as well.  I have not seen any other guests either...I think it's just me! 

Is this not the perfect room for me?!?!  LOVE the wall hanging!

The view from where I sit to write this.  If you're wondering what's in the bag, it's ceviche de pescado - I'm hooked on the shit and they sell it on the street corner like a hot dog vendor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment